Wednesday, May 13, 2015

Saying Goodbye: The Last Entry


It is with much regret that I must call an end to my humble blogging efforts. After 345 entries, the first of which was May 11, 2007, I've decided to call it a day.

I never thought it would last this long, and I've enjoyed every minute of it. But alas, those pesky and irritating life issues came up during the last several months. I won't go into the gory details, but my focus was on finding a full-time job and getting out of a financial black hole. I didn't feel like watching many movies, let alone blogging about them. Even if I did have the energy, I know I would not have done a very good job of it.

I was so focused on finding work, I declined to participate in several blogathons, which in the past I would have happily participated in. My brain was severely cramped about what title to write about, let alone what to say about it.

But the dark clouds have lifted, and I start a new full-time job (with benefits) at the end of the month. I can breathe, relax a little and start to enjoy life again. I want to do a really good job at my new endeavor, so decided to cease my blogging efforts. I may try it again, once the creative juices come back, but for now, have decided to take a sabbatical.

Thank you to all the wonderful readers who have commented here over the years. I've enjoyed some wonderful relationships from across the country, with like-minded classic movie fans who share our passion. There are lot of first-rate writers out there who are keeping these wonderful movies alive, hopefully for generations to come. I'm honored to be a small part of that and once I get settled into my new routine, I look forward to visiting, and commenting, these blogs again.

Thanks again everybody for all your support, kindness and encouragement. See you at the movies.

11 comments:

Caftan Woman said...

First, many congratulations on this new and better phase in your life.

Second, I look forward to your posts more than I can say and knowing it will be a while before the next one (I know you won't be able to stop completely) makes me sad.

Consider perhaps a special holiday edition of Kevin's Movie Corner. I'm thinking like Jim Hardy in "Holiday Inn" only working on national holidays. Call it "Blogging for Bums". Maybe next year. H'm? Think about it. Just for me.

Kevin Deany said...

Thanks CW. I like your Jim Hardy idea. Mmmm..... Thank you for all your support over the years. I recommend the Caftan Woman blog for insightful classic movie reviews...not only insightful but full of humor and good cheer.

Kevin Deany said...

Another reason to give up blogging. I can't figure out why the font in my last blog looks the way it does, as it looked fine in the preview. I changed it, teh preview looked fine, and it still looks this way. AARGH!

I feel like Groucho in DUCK SOUP: Go out and get me a five-year-old child, I can't make heads or tails out of this.

Jacqueline T. Lynch said...

You will be sorely missed here Kevin, but your decision is understandable. I like CW's "Holiday Inn" suggestion. Best wishes in your new job, and congratulations on that very splendid achievement.

joe baltake said...

Kevin! I've missed your astute writing since January and now I know why. Yes, life has a habit of getting in the way. And doing a blog well (as you did) takes more time and effort than most people can appreciate. I'll miss your generous, adventurous and impressively original views of films both old and new. But, for now, just have a happy life. I'd wish you the best of luck, but won't. I've a hunch that you'll enjoy just that. -J

Caftan Woman said...

I can easily picture some time in the future when I'll be yelling on the street for a teenager to help me turn on the computer!

ClassicBecky said...

Kevin, it won't be the same without you. I sure understand, though. I've been struggling this year to keep my blog going. It's wonderful about your job, and I hope you love it. And I too love CW's idea -- Kevin's Holiday Blog! Well, whatever happens, I have so enjoyed being one of your movie chums, and you will be missed.

Gilby37 said...

Good luck Kevin -- I've been MIA and closed down my blog too. Sometimes, it's just time to move on, doesn't mean you can't start over later on.

Patrick Wahl said...

I have this feeling you'll be back. Once the blogging bug gets into people, the never leave. Except some of the time when they do, but you'll be the other kind.

Jeff Flugel said...

Congratulations on getting through a rough life patch, Kevin, and finding your way forward to better times! I completely understand where you're coming from and think taking some time off to rest and regroup is a wise idea.

Wishing you all the best in the future, and look forward to maybe hearing more from you someday when the mood strikes you. Take care!

Laura said...

Congrats on your new job! You will certainly be missed in the blogosphere and I hope to see you able to return one day. :)

Best wishes,
Laura